Mundane Musings - March 9, Saturday
Mundane Musings: March 9, Saturday
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.”
This was one of the quotes that captivated my mind from my school days. Honestly, I do not exactly remember when I came across it first or why I was quite attracted to it but I know for sure, it just stayed on in the corners of my soul.
I vaguely remember Q telling me, after witnessing the extremely loud (😁) and miraculous (Subhan Allah) moment when I gave birth to Y : "You were so strong!" But, I clearly remember thinking - "Did I have a choice?" And that's the moment when this favourite quote came to life.
Since then, I have been seeing how this beautiful quote has manifested in my journey many times through the many wonderful people who have come into my life as family, friends, colleagues, students, strangers and many more.
I see how a student and his family are fighting one of the strongest opponents one will not ask for - Leukaemia. I am sure my student and his family are reminding themselves - Being strong is their only choice.
I see how the Board ‘Moms’, both at home and school, are supporting their children and students in motivating them to stay focussed and strong. They remind them: “Stay Strong! Nothing will go wrong!” and silently pray that they themselves stay strong.
I see how a child is experiencing the worst trauma of his life - his parents are getting divorced. The people around him have to remind him - “It is not your fault. Stay strong and we will smoothly sail through rough tides.”
I see how my friend is trying to get her and her sons' lives together after going through the deepest troughs in her life. She reminds me - If I need to get my life together, being strong is the only choice.
I see how some of my friends drive long miles to their workplace daily, for reasons only known to them. I guess that it does take strength to do this every single day of your life.
I see how my son Y has been slowly adapting to his new environment. We know it's not easy. I am sure he is reminding himself that being strong & focussed, along with a dash of trust on the Almighty, is the magical mantra.
I see how the working moms and wives are rushing to work after ensuring that things are set for the others in their homes. Have we thought about the countless times they would have reminded themselves - "I CAN do it. Being strong is my only choice!"
I see how a dear friend slowly accepted things when her better half faced the biggest challenge of his life. I am sure she is reminding him and herself that staying positive and being strong will certainly help them overcome this challenge.
I see how my friend takes time out of her busy schedule to follow her passion for dancing. She knows it's not easy but yet she reminds herself that being strong will help her fulfil her passion.
I see how the millions of children in Gaza wake up in the morning, saying thanks to the Almighty for keeping them alive. I have no doubt that these young children are telling themselves that: They will live but for now they have no choice but to be strong.
I see how the mother of an autistic child talks about the beautiful side of her child that we do not get to see at times. As they move ahead in their journey together, I am sure they remind each other that "Yes! We take it one step at a time but we will remain strong to face the challenges ahead.”
I see how some of my friends & colleagues in the teaching community are going the extra mile to make a difference in their students' lives. They remind me that being strong about one’s convictions empowers, not only oneself, but also the others.
Kerala Floods & Lockdown Days - definitely two major events in my lifetime that are not going to be erased from all our memories for a very long time. Few of the most intense moments in our history, when we said to each other: "Do not lose hope. Being strong is the only choice."
I see how at times temptations can lead individuals down paths they never intended to take. These are times when one reminds oneself - I have ONE Choice and that is to stay focussed & strong.
I see how I almost give up when I face certain situations or people. And slowly someone inside me tells me or rather motivates me - "Don’t give up yet. Being strong is the only choice you have."
I continued to ponder over these various interpretations of strength and then, yesterday, as part of International Women's Day, my social media accounts were flooded with powerful reminders and messages reminding women, girls and the rest of the world that women/girls are strong, they can do anything and they should be shown their true place in this world, etc.
Personally, I feel women do not need others to tell them their worth or value. Why do we need someone to remind us to continue to be super strong women who can handle anything and everything? A woman standing up to face the world either for herself or for her loved ones - is only the best testament of her strength. And to be honest, this strength finds its way to the others who seek the same.
On that note, I am grateful for the many strong women in my life.
I am grateful for the strength & support the women in my family - my mother, my sister and my sister in law, my nieces - give me every moment & everyday.
I am proud to see how my daughter M is finding her ways to be strong not just for herself but for the others around her.
MJ & UJ...Both of you are the synonyms of strength. Grateful for the craziness that is sprinkled generously in my already crazy life by these two amazingly crazy yet strong women!
I am not joking when I say that my workplace - my second home - has some amazingly strong personalities. Thank you to each of my colleagues for showing me the limitless possibilities of strength.
I am proud of my different mentors who have come into my life at different stages of my journey - academic, work and life - I have indeed drawn strength from their experience and wisdom.
All these strong women have actually taught me that there is absolutely no need to prove your strength 24-7. The moment you whip out that strength is what matters. Alhamdulillah to the Almighty for blessing me with the opportunity to be connected with such great women.
And there is no forgetting the great men in our lives, who in a way or two, are responsible for our strength.
Alhamdulillah to the great men in my life - I am proud of my biggest cheerleaders - my father & my brother. Their assurance of stability has only added to my strength.
And of course to Q, the Saahil of my life, for reminding me everyday that one derives immense strength in silence, trust and faith. Alhamdulillah.
As I conclude these mundane musings of March 9, may we carry with us the enduring lessons of strength, resilience, and gratitude. From the quiet determination of individuals facing personal trials to the collective support of communities in times of crisis, let us remember that within each of us lies the capacity to overcome adversity and emerge stronger than before.
Alhamdulillah for the countless examples of strength that surround us, whether in the form of men or women. As we navigate the complexities of life, may we draw inspiration from these stories and recognize the indomitable spirit that resides within us all.
With heartfelt gratitude,
SamiQ
March 9, 2024
Genuine writing. Consider this as a chapter. And keep on creating more chapters to print a book enabling to enhance/motivate the readers.
ReplyDeleteMay the strength carry on and take you to greater heights with your feet always well grounded in knowledge, wisdom and humility
ReplyDelete